Thursday, April 10, 2008

Dilemma

A while ago I heard about a pageant: "Miss & Mister SL Ebony 2008" and it got me wondering whether or not to enter it. Since it's not my thing and for several reasons I decided not to participate as a contestant.

In the meanwhile I did contemplate about the concept, the superficial aspect of a "colour based" competition... but also the deeper meaning... the actual idea behind it.

Being a child from a mixed relationship and being brought up in several colours, cultures and religions, I can only find myself to be a rich and blessed individual to actually know both sides and understand what plays behind the scenes.

One of my first thoughts was: "What would I feel/think if someone announced a "Miss & Mister SL Caucasian 2008" pageant. and started contemplating deeper about this, since I know there is so much more to an initiative taken by a woman of colour (Patty Cortes) whom I have come to know as a passionate and dedicated person, with love and respect for all people.

Being a woman of many colours myself I have had the blessing (and yes I call it a blessing with purpose) to have had and from time to time still have to deal with my fair share of racism in life. Which has influenced my self-image strongly over the years as a child and as an adolescent, and it has taken me the necessary amount of energy to accept and value myself fully and not to judge myself according to what I had to hear so many times.

When taking my first steps in SL I didn't hesitate one moment to alter my skin to a more chocolate tone... not to make a statement... but because that's who I am, and I wanted to walk and talk as me in SL. However it soon became clear to me that finding a darker skin in SL is not that easy.

I found mine at RaC where they sell several dark skin tone packages, which still is a rarity in SL to find a designer offering not one or two... but several packages of different skin tones. From pale vanilla to dark chocolate. The only thing missing is the whipped cream ;)

When I moved on I met several people using an avatar with Caucasian appearance, but in reality being darker. They often expressed their admiration that I took on my RL ethnic skin tone in Sl , stating they opted not to do so to avoid trouble/drama/situations... in short racism.

One of my dearest friends in SL even decided to switch to another avi, one as tanned as him.

SL is SL! So you don't have to look like your RL you, you can be whoever or whatever you want, from furry to a woman when you're in RL a man and vice versa. However it is your motivation behind your choice that is worth contemplating about. If it is shame for who you really are, fear for confrontation... then it is the wrong reason... period!

Being such a fan of RaC for all the good reasons (they just have awesome stuff... period hahaha) I applied and got a job at their place. Being there has given me the opportunity to talk to so many people, getting to know why they look for a certain skin. Most women claim they want this or that skin cause it looks so much like their RL self... mh whatever.
Men, even though the offer in mens skins is smaller then female skins (another point of discussion?) are more to the point, have thought more about it. So I've come across several men buying several packages of different skin tone... why?... "to experience the difference" how people will react on them, is the most given argument. It is fascinating afterwards to communicate with them, how they have experienced the difference in conduct towards them.

To get back to the "Miss & Mister SL Ebony 2008" pageant... apparently a discussion has been unleashed calling this initiative racist, segregative, etc.

In fact it is a diptych, one part can not or would not be existent without the other and it isn't a pretty painting sadly enough. However like any form of art which I consider human interaction to be... it can make you think and see the benefits of the depicted 'unbeauty' to be able and evaluate and make a change for the better choice... even if it is 'only' withing your own perception.
  • 1st Leave:
Since it was my first objection when coming across this particular pageant, I will begin with my reflection on the "colour" subject. I agree with those who take offense initially concerning the differentiating character of the pageant by stating it is a contest for "tan, dark tan and black models". Even though I understand the concept I also understand the opposition some people (might) take when hearing about such an initiative.

Since people in general aren't refined in their understanding, but nevertheless eager to sound smart and rather be too hasty in barfing up their "two-minute-ready-made-microwave-opinions" ... it is bound to prompt confusion about what people might interpret as a segregative motive and have (even in a minor way like panel discussions) also a segregative effect.
  • 2nd Leave
two words to begin with: ACTION - REACTION

As I already stated, I myself have had my fair share of racist attacks in my life: non-verbally, verbally and physically. And I don't know one of my darker skin toned friends that have not experienced this themselves.

But the funny (irony intended here) thing is that most of my light skin toned friends and even my family in general have (had) no idea what it does to you. The only time my family was shaken was when one of my aunties brought home a boyfriend that wouldn't shake my hand and left the room cause he didn't want to sit with me.
It was then that my family saw for the first time with their own eyes... but I was 16 then, i already knew.

To keep it short, I could write for months without any doubt about my own experiences... not even mentioning all the other stories I have witnessed from others.

Racism is like the sword of Damocles: you might think every thing's going well for you, just cause you don't experience it... but it hangs above all our heads and pollutes the lives we live, because somewhere near you it kills the smile of a child every day. With all the consequences that brings along for the grownups they will be and the way they fulfill their position in society.
Like a boomerang... you throw it and sooner or later it will come back and hit you in the face, even harder than you threw it.

... action - reaction
  • Conclusion
So... is there a need for an "Ebony" community and related events? And if yes... can they exist without having an offensive/discriminatory/differentiating connotation?

... hard to say

Minorities/target(ed) groups will always search for one another, because all people need acceptance, the need to feel 'normal'... it ensures safety and stability in ones perception of life. Brings peace of mind and happiness, and in the end that is what we all want and what we pursue... happiness.

I have to admit that when I heard of "Ebony City" and later on the pageant, that I felt some kind of relief. It wasn't just something in my head and each time it is a relief to meet someone who says: "I know what you're talking about... I've been there too and I know what it feels like"... and it sooths.

It's "tiny therapy" for many to promote "Black Beauty" which worldwide (SL and RL) is not only neglected but also countered... consciously or not so consciously.

The ideal behind this initiative is not comparable to a possible "Miss & Mister SL Caucasian 2008"... why?
  1. The latter in its category has always (in situations of public segregation) been one of exclusion, shutting ranks, superiority;
  2. The Ebony pageant is one of inclusion, exposure... equality
To come to the end of my dilemma, I can say that I understand and value both sides of the coin when arguments for both opinions are given in earnest.

However I do consider the benefits of such a concept as the Ebony idea to be more prevalent then what one could oppose to it.
On the other hand it is necessary when dealing with such a delicate subject, to be aware of the impact of words, actions and events. Never to exclude always to embrace and to be clear about that from the very beginning. Since it is stipulated to promote great branches of what should prove our higher rank of civilization in comparison to all other races.

Because note that those who divide humanity in different races need to retake their biology classes.

There is only one human race... but different ethnicities... and life comes to us all... and so does death... no exclusions made... all included

I think the Ebony project might be a powerful platform to open this hidden world, to open minds, eyes and mouths. Their are so many possibilities to manifest such an idea to achieve and maintain good... that opposing it is rather silly than fruitful, and dialog is always better than dispute. Because it involves a global social issue and the colours involved are not always on the same side of the table nor are they always in the same role.

Throughout this whole writing I hated using the words colour, Caucasian, etc. because that is usually not how I define people. I've come to travel the world and see/hear/taste/feel/... so many lives that I can not call a man living in Amsterdam and African merely based on the colour of his skin, nor can I call a woman living in South-Africa European just because her skin suggests she is.

On April 4th 1968 Martin Luther King died for a dream:

"I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream today."

[Martin Luther King 28th August 1963]


Defining a person takes a bit more effort then what meets the eye at first glance... however in order to do that you will have to think first and that... well that is where most people give up.

********************************************************************
Mentioned external links:

2 comments:

SourceCode said...

Wow, It's a hard to the bone article, Congratulation it is well written and very deep.
For me it's somewhat simpler, there are people who is enlighted and do not see colors, religions, nations or status and people who has not evolved, because mostly they are afraid of what the can not understand.
Love you babe

GoSpeed Racer said...

Terces is spot on with her post. I think she covered just about every angle.
I myself am not black or ebony in any sense of the word in RL. I like wearing a dark skin in SL because it makes me different. When I feel different than my RL self, then I am free to be myself. I hope that makes sense :) .

On Flickr I run a picture pool called SL Ebony and our rules are just as lax as the contest. Rarely do I ever have to remove a pic due to it being too white. There are no fine lines when it comes to color and no one has ever said my pool was racist or complained that it was exclusionary. Participation in the pool is strictly voluntary just the same as the pageant. Birds of a feather flock together because sometimes the sparrow can't get noticed in the crowd.

GoSpeed